Friday, August 21, 2009

Gourmet Popsicles





I found a great recipe at www.cooks.com recipe search for popsicles and fudgesicles. Popsicles have been my staple food item all summer long and the front porch swing is the best place to enjoy. That is how I have been keeping my cool all summer. I even enjoy the cheapest, plastic sleeve ones and so does my dog Mena. She likes the grape ones best and waits patiently for me to almost finish because she knows I will share the last bite. Anyway, I live several miles from the store and sometimes I run out so I was looking for a recipe that would be a little bit better than just freezing kool-aid (although there's nothing wrong with that!). I tried the popsicle recipe first:


1 (3 oc) pkg. jello, any flavor

1 pkg. kool-aid, any flavor

1 c sugar

2 c hot water

2 c cold water


They are soooo goood and actually have more of the texture of a "pink thing" remember those?


I tried out the fudgesicle recipe next for my 3 young friends that visited. It was a big hit as well.


1 (3 oz) pkg. chocolate instant pudding

1/2 c sugar

1/2 c cream

2 c milk


I also found these push up pop things at a kitchen store. They are for serving ice cream to little kids. You pack it in and then they can eat off the stick by pushing up from the bottom. I tried freezing the popsicles and fudgesicles in them and they work great. I filled them up, put the lids on and then slipped them through one of the shelf racks in my freezer. That held them in upright position while they froze. I am definitely going to get more of these the next time I find them. They were actually featured in this month's Woman's Day magazine. At least that is where I saw them first. The other containers are the regular ones for making homemade frozen treats. Even though school starts Monday, and Hobby Lobby already has Christmas decor on display, we know here in Texas it will hot for a lot longer. So, give these recipes a try and cool yourself off on your front porch while the hot summer afternoons are still here. Sew long..




1 comment:

  1. Now I know what Campbell was talking about!!! And yes I remember "Pink Things." They were the best. (I am now humming ----Memories....)

    ReplyDelete