Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Suitcase Slipcovers




Do you have ugly, dirty suitcases? Well, when I first started traveling as a "Spa Girl"
we thought it would be fun to have lime green suitcases. They were so cute and very noticeable, until our first flight and then they were very dirty and embarrassing. Loving to sew like you know I do.., I decided to make a slipcover for our luggage. I have not ever seen any and I was sure if I came up with a good design, I could make them and become rich! The luggage was still in good shape and we hated to replace it just because of looks so I went into the sewing room and began my creative process. That didn't last long. I love to sew but I cannot make patterns or design anything, so I started trying to figure out how to do this. I had really cute pink and green polka-dot fabric but no real idea how to make it work. So, I spent the better part of the day measuring, thinking, drawing and finally cutting out and sewing the first prototype. I got it ready, placed it on the suitcase and proceeded to roll it out of the sewing room. It tore apart before I could get it out the door! I was devastated! The wheels were the problem. I had made these huge buttonholes for the wheels to fit through but as they starting to roll the fabric got caught up in them and tore. So, I sat there in the sewing room thinking that I needed something kind of stretchy for give, with a hole in the top for the handle and completely open at the bottom as not the get stuck in the wheels, but it had to fit down tight so it would stay covered. Now, as I was thinking about all this you might be interested to know that at that time all of the Spa Girl t-shirts were stored in the sewing room, so I was literally surrounded by stacks of shirts. Finally, I saw what I had been starting at all day. An big t-shirt fit all of my requirements. It is stretchy, has a neck hole perfect for the handle and is open at the bottom. Plus, as it is wheeled through airports, it is a perfect advertising billboard. I took one of the shirts off the shelf and it fit perfectly! I'm thinking that you could use your favorite sports team or your school shirt, anything you like and are proud to show. Now, no matter how ugly and torn your luggage is, it can have a brand new look and get some free publicity for your favorite cause. If you can't think of a favorite team or school to use then by all means, put a Spa Girl shirt on there. It is the "Practical" (P in Spa) thing to do. Don't you agree?

1 comment:

  1. Buy Luggage in affordable price at rpkluggageonline.com. They purchase a great prices and discounted in all travel luggage and accessories. They have the bestselling brands of luggage. One of the available brand is the Aaron Irvin. Aaron Irvin is a full grain accents and supple coated canvas materials combine to give casual flap-over bag a rich and sophisticated feel. The hardware is oversized to ensure the durability, and each hand is hand brushed and polished multiple times to achieve a perfect materials.

    ReplyDelete