Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Good Clean Fun

I think I have posted about this laundry soap recipe before, but I was making a new batch and decided to put it out here in blog land one more time. Thanks to nurse and friend extraordinaire, Wendy Linton, who first gave me this recipe. I have been using it for 2 years and still love it. So here goes.


You will need:

1 cup of borax

1 cup of washing soda

1/2 cup of grated Ivory soap

1/2 cup of grated Zote soap (found on the laundry aisle in store)

Stir all together and then process in blender or food processor just to get a finer powder and better combined mixture. Use 2 T per load and that's it! I did the calculations, and it only costs 6 cents per load. Here are a few pictures for show and tell:



Here's how all the packages look, except for ivory soap, but I think you know what that looks like :)
Grating up the Zote soap:


Mix up in bowl and then process a little at a time to get a good, fine powder mixture.





Find some pretty jars for storage and start doing laundry!


Here is the white hoodie that was involved in the bike accident that I mentioned in a previous post:


I did use a spot remover that you spray on before putting it in the laundry, but it came out snowy white with my homemade detergent. I was very impressed that all the mud was removed. I don't have an after picture right now, but you can take my word for it. It is so white and clean, and never going to go on a bike ride again!!!!!!











1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love it too (even though I'm sorta new to it) and had a similar white-shirt story where I spilled grape juice all. over. the. front. A bit of spot cleaner but it was totally gone after it sitting for almost a week! I love how it makes so much but uses so little!!! It even means fewer trips to the store which is almost as valuable to me as the money I'm saving!!! But I do still need to get those pretty containers!

    ReplyDelete