Sunday, March 22, 2009

How Many Boxes...

....does it take to pack up 28 years of living? A lot as you can see. Maybe 200 or more? And I pride myself on regular purging of stuff. Problem seems that the more I purge the more I replace or something like that. Anyway, I am wondering why I have so much stuff. How do you decide to not acquire things that you love? When we were early married and still in school it was because we just couldn't afford to buy stuff. But look at us now, we seemed to have progressed enough in our professions that we can buy most any stuff we want.... So, how do you stop wanting? I think one big answer is that you need to move more. That really puts all this into perspective for me. It is hard to decide what to keep, store or give away. What if I need something and have to re-buy it?? So anyway, that is my big concern right now along with, of course, who is going to pack the rest of this stuff and most importantly who is going to unpack it and where is it going to go? I have a strong feeling that by the time it is packed, loaded and unloaded I am going to be questioning if I really want it enough to unpack and find space. The big lesson here has been taught since Bible times. ...lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust do easily decay, instead build up treasures in heaven. I am asking God to show me what that means for me and my hobby of shopping and accumulating. I think maybe He has better things to occupy my time. The Spa Girls say that these days we tend to have so much stuff that our stuff has us! Do you know what I mean?


2 comments:

  1. It was so great seeing you last night! Thanks so much for your help with Jonathan these last couple of months--I appreciate it SO SO much! Thanks again for Jonathan' car mat--the only reason I agreed to take it was because I knew you were trying to downscale. ;> I love your post--so, so true! I look forward to seeing more about the farm house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it is official today :(

    I hope the move goes smoothly for ya'll and I'll pray that you transition into your new life with infinite amounts of happiness!

    Love you all soo much! Expect a visit from me sometime in July ;)

    ReplyDelete